Monday, February 21, 2011

Johnny D Music News: Time to find the leather - John D. Pierce .

Time to find the leather - John D. Pierce Blog - Baptists Today .

By John Pierce

Although growing up with few earthly possessions, none was more valued than my baseball glove. In fact, from the first hint of spring until the late fall chill, the well-worn glove was more of an appendage than a possession.

As a seminary student in 1979, I bought a brand new glove at University Mall in Chapel Hill, N.C. and joined a couple of good softball teams.

It lasted until a line drive ripped through the webbing during a spring training batting practice session in Vero Beach`s old Dodgertown just a few years ago.

So I bought another one that could withstand snagging MLB practice balls that soar into the stands at Turner Field - something that yet brings a point to me in my 50s.

These last two gloves I purchased were well engineered, unlike the gloves of youth that usually had a previous owner. Padding would run through cracks in the leather and dry-rotted rawhide laces were in constant need of replacement. Often shoestrings (from my brothers` shoes if they were not looking) could be threaded through the holes to connect feel to feel and keep the webbing secure.

As a youth, it is hard to find a day when the sun was brilliant and the temperature was rising that the glove was not on my hand. Organized games and practice sessions with coaches on marked-off fields were gravy.

My brothers, friends and I could reverse some version of the National Pastime with any act of persons and set to any setting. One of our favorites was "flies and skinners" - where one person hit, another one pitched and everyone else gathered in the outfield. Whoever amassed enough points by catching flies or grounders (skinners) would replace the hitter.

Sometimes we`d play so later on a summer night that darkness would sully the globe to the burden that a chance on the query would need ice. But we played, played, played.

A few years ago, I retired for the 3rd or fourth final time (I think) from playing organized softball. However, I still enjoy throwing the orb around with my daughters and stressful to chase down more batting practice homers than my conniving little friend Marshall who is too old to be doing such folly.

But when spring (or spring-like weather) comes around, it`s hard to remember a time when I would not put a glove on my left hand and get the pocket toward my position but to inspire the smell of leather. It`s about that time again. Play ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment