Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Das Binky Recording Collective: Right to Oblivion

This line was a very interesting experiment. I'd care to copiously thank Dale Lake for providing all of the vocals.

Lyrically, the concept here comes from debate about the tenacity of info online. If you brand something online, it's more or less there forever. Do you cause a good for it not to be? A right to condemn oneself to oblivion?
http://inforrm.wordpress.

om/2010/11/16/privacy-and-the-right-to-oblivion/
The end of the call is to try and give that thinking on a bigger scale. Do I get a good not to be? Do I own myself, my being, my soul. I don't recognize that the lyrics fully get there, but it's the mind of questioning one's ownership of your own existence.

Musically, I was aiming for something on the lines of early Sarah McLachlan, specifically "Mercy" from her second disk "Solace". But with male vox. Specifically, I was looking for dirgey, dissonant and a capella, and Dale helped me apprehend that. I ended up opting for a little more instrumentation in the end to serve the call from getting too monotonous.

In the end, a very interesting conceptual piece, and emphatically a release from my usual stuff. A cool addition to the library.



And Sapient did a variant with the same lyrics, different music.Here are his notes:

Sometimes when you see a set of lyrics you make no quality but to work them into a call of your own. And so it was with these.

I'm not certain about the Kirk Hammett lead in this one. I finally get to bring out a decent lead role and so reveal that it doesn't really fit the song. Ah well, you can assure me what you think, and I can ever use it somewhere else. Still, it has me playing the piano. Not a first, but surely a rarity.



Lyrics:

Where are my basest instincts
when I need them most
You are not what I dreamed
And I am far far worse

My structure will not leave me
access to the infinite
There are too many paths
I decline to see

Take what I give to offer
I lift that which I choose
Of all the things you claim
You cannot own my absence
I make a flop to oblivion

We are not all special flowers
We are not all unique
God may know each of us
But He doesn't know us the same

Take what I give to offer
I lift that which I choose
Of all the things you claim
You cannot own my absence
I make a flop to oblivion

No comments:

Post a Comment