Monday, November 1, 2010

Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray Reviews — The Fact HGH

Review by Dan-Fabian Parra for Alice in Wonderland [Blu-ray]Rating: In spite of having to take many negative reviews, I was nevertheless curious to see this movie. I not a huge Burton fan neither, although I`ve enjoyed some of his former work. But it was something about Alice in Wonderland which seemed appealing; its visual aspect and its quirky characters.

Still I had in heed the several hostile reviews, which accused this film to be a flat, soulless and muddled attempt of a classic, which I also feared it would. But after finally seeing the movie, I can take my disagreement with the reviewers. In fact, I`m not certain if we still saw the same movie. What precisely was so terrible about it?

Overall, I found Alice in Wonderland to be very entertaining. I feared that the film would suffer some of it`s magic as the principal character entered to Wonderland, but luckily it never did. I enjoyed the picture from the real first to its real end. It`s a cute fantasy/adventure movie, equal to the Harry Potter and the Narnia flicks (although I personally felt Prince Caspain had some slight weaknesses). But beware; there are some frightening creatures that may fright the youngest in the audience, so the PG rating is suitable.

One of the films biggest advantages is it visuals. With it lush and blue landscapes, cute animals and colourful costumes, the film is beautifully to appear at and I can`t expect to enjoy the sharpness of the figure on Blu Ray. The account of Danny Elfman is good and gives the film a dreamy, atmospheric tone. The characters are mostly passable. They don`t buy the picture entirely, but neither do they seem as distractive or annoying.

Although I`ve always liked the original novel of Lewis Carroll, I must say that I found this new turn of the story fresh and creative, depicting the wrong Alice`s adventures in Wonderland as a young adult. Linda Woolverton, who`s behind the excellent screenplays for Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, has written a strong and decent script to Wonderland. Many have claimed this screenplay to be muddled and confusing, but I didn`t felt it that way at all. Once again, did we still saw the same movie?

Mia Wasikowska is quite right as Alice. Although she doesn`t give a distinctive emanation/charisma who characterizes other young actresses at her age, she`s still delivers a decent and acceptable performance. Personally I felt her screen presence expanded during the movie. Johnny Depp is so a serious actor. To take anything else, would be a like claiming that the climate isn`t humid in the rain forest. Although I`ve never been crazy over Depp`s work, he`s goofy and neat as The Mad Hatter, which is so the better quality in the movie. Helena Bonham Carter is also believable and suspicious as the Red Queen (just set yourself to see Off with his mind at least a 100 times during the movie, ha ha). While Anne Hathaway, on the other hand, is quick and passable as the White Queen (although I must concede it was a little distracting to see her with a blond wig and with a British accent).

In fact, I can`t see anything wrong with this new Burton version of Wonderland. I really enjoyed it and urge it to everyone as possible. It didn`t deserve the negative criticism at all, in my opinion. With quality films like this, perhaps I could finally forgive Disney for its recent mistakes? (*Cough, leaving hand drawn animation behind and promoting teen stars as crazy, cough*)

So accompany every white rabbit you see and follow him to the hole_ Wonderland is waiting_

No comments:

Post a Comment