Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dyersburg State Gazette: Local News: Dyer County favors GOP in .

(Photo)
Bill Sanderson (fourth from left) poses with some Dyer County supporters at his victory celebration on Tuesday evening in Union City. Sanderson beat Rep. Judy Barker by a narrow margin of only 286 votes.
[Click to enlarge]
Voters made their voices heard across the nation and in Dyer County in yesterday's elections.

After the smoke cleared and the votes tallied, it was plain the Republicans had dominated the top races.

Haslam
Bill Haslam ran out with the governor's race, bringing in 1,041,576 votes to Democratic opponent Mike McWherter's 529,983. Haslam also won Dyer County with 6,576 votes as opposed to McWherter's 2,848. Gov. Phil Bredesen, a Democrat, thanked McWherter for his campaign in campaigning for the authority and congratulated Haslam.

"My praise to Governor-elect Bill Haslam on his victory tonight," said Bredesen. "Governor-elect Haslam will add a reasoned, common-sense approach to governing our state, and I know he will preserve to make on the progress we've made in late years. My administration will do everything it can to aid the Governor-elect and his team hit a smooth transition into office, and I look ahead to working with him during the upcoming weeks.

Independent gubernatorial candidates garnered a few votes, but they were not adequate to strike the outcomes of the top two contenders.

In one of the hardest fought races in recent memory, Stephen Fincher, the farmer form Frog Jump, Tenn. won retiring John Tanner's seat as U.S. Representative for Tennessee's 8th Congressional District. Fincher received 98,637 votes, compared to the 64,849 votes that Roy Herron got.

Congressman-elect Stephen Fincher (left) won retiring John Tanner's seat as U.S. Representative for Tennessee's 8th Congressional District with 98,637 votes. He is the first Republican congressman in the territory in more than a century. Here he stands with his wife, Lynn, at the Dyer County Republican Party's Reagan Day dinner in September.
[Click to enlarge]
In the District 77 race for state representative, incumbent Judy Barker lost to Bill Sanderson by only 286 votes. Sanderson received 3,450 votes in Dyer County, 555 votes in Lake County and 4,220 votes in Obion County. Barker took both Lake and Obion County with 871 and 5,155 votes, respectively. However, she could not master the shortage in Dyer County with just 1,913 votes.

Sanderson, who missed to Barker two days ago, said it was a bad race between the two.

"Barker, no doubt, was a very, very hard-working competitor and she deserves all the citation for doing a secure job," said Sanderson. "It's just we worked a little harder."

Sanderson noted that he already has one end in mind once he gets in office.

"My direction is to get Dyer County back in one district," said Sanderson. "I feel confident in expression that would have never happened had a Republican not won this position."

"We're leaving to bring on creating jobs," said Sanderson. "Because I am a small businessman I believe we want to get jobs through the modest business. And that is leaving to make Dyer County and all of Tennessee small-business friendly."

Sanderson said he would proceed with the legacy he has been granted and leave go on the Interface of Cates Landing and I-69 projects.

Fitzhugh
In another close house race, Rep. Craig Fitzhugh beat his Republican opponent, Johnny Edwards, by only 285 votes for the 82nd District of the Tennessee House of Representatives.

Fitzhugh, the current president of the Family Finance, Ways and Means Committee, has represented the 82nd legislative district as a state representative since 1994.

After the election, Fitzhugh said he was thankful to be capable to do the citizens of Dyersburg and Dyer County, as easily as the remainder of the district, once again.

"I hope (my constituents) looked through the peculiar political parties of mine and my opponent's and have seen what I've done for the district," said Fitzhugh. "And likewise the bed I have for the territory and my bed for this position of the country and West Tennessee."

He acknowledged the allowance he won by was minute and encouraged constituents to anticipate and order him their concerns about issues relating to the district, noting he has several phone numbers listed on his website, including his cell phone.

Fitzhugh said the current objective is to get jobs and economic development in the area.

"We've got some good things going on in Dyer County that they will keep us in the 21st century," said Fitzhugh.

He said he would miss working with Barker and wishes her well.

"I thought Judy was one of the most conscientious lawmakers I get always served with," said Fitzhugh. "She is a bright, articulate woman and volition do well."

He added that he looks ahead to working with Sanderson in representing the area.

"I will remain to do my dead-level best to facilitate the citizens of Dyersburg and Dyer County," said Fitzhugh.

In the constitutional amendment on Tuesday's ballot, voters chose overwhelmingly to get the good to run and angle in Tennessee. A number of 1,255,840 voters were in favour of the amendment, in contrast to the 181,465 who were not. The enactment of the amendment will allow Tennesseans to receive the personal right to hunting and fish, subject to reasonable regulations and restrictions prescribed by law.

Unofficial Tennessee election results, Nov. 2, 2010

* Governor of Tennessee

Bill Haslam (R) - 1,041,409

Mike McWherter (D) - 529,834

Bayron Binkley (I) - 4,664

Brandon Dodds (I) 4,731

Samuel David Duck (I) - 1,753

David Gatchell (I) - 864

June Griffin (I) - 2,584

Toni K. Hall (I) - 996

Mike Knois (I) - 598

Boyce T. McCall (I) - 828

Donald Ray McFolin (I) - 582

Linda Kay Perry (I) - 2,061

James Reesor (I) - 809

Thomas Smith II (I) 1,206

Howard M. Switzer (I) - 1,885

Carl Twofeathers Whitaker (I) - 6,535

* Constitutional amendment results

(Passage of this amendment would leave the citizens of this nation to get the personal right to trace and fish, subject to reasonable regulations and restrictions prescribed by law.)

Yes - 1,255,840

No - 181,465

* United States House of Representatives 8th Congressional District

Stephen Lee Fincher (R) - 98,637

Roy Herron (D) - 64,849

Donn Janes (I) - 2,437

Mark J. Rawles (I) - 1,235

* Tennessee House of Representatives 77th Representative District

Bill Sanderson (R) - 8,225

Judy Barker (D) - 7,939

* Tennessee House of Representatives 82nd Representative District

Johnny Edwards (R) - 6,679

Craig Fitzhugh (D) - 6,964

No comments:

Post a Comment