Monday, November 29, 2010

Johnny Depp Talks to Patti Smith About Running with Angelina Jolie .

Depp compares Angelina to another famous leading lady. "I`ve had the award and the joy and endowment of having known Elizabeth Taylor for a total of years," he says. "You know, you sit down with her, she slings hash, she sits there and cusses like a sailor, and she`s hilarious. Angie`s got the like sort of thing, you know, the same approach.

On the set of the upcoming episode of Pirates of the Caribbean, Smith asks Depp what it`s similar to meet the iconic part of Captain Jack Sparrow. "Somebody once asked [Hunter S. Thompson], "What is the voice of one hand clapping, Hunter?," and he smacked him. Captain Jack was sort of care that for me, an opening up of this portion of yourself," Depp says. "There is a little Bugs Bunny in all of us."

"They couldn`t stand him. They simply couldn`t stand him," Depp says of Disney`s reaction to his controversial interpretation of Sparrow. "I mean it was Michael Eisner, the question of Disney at the time, who was quoted as saying, `He`s ruining the movie.` Depp reveals to Smith, however, that he remained unfazed by the studio`s hysteria. "Upper-echelon Disney-ites, going, What`s wrong with him? Is he, you know, like some sort of weird simpleton? Is he drunk? By the way, is he gay? And so I actually told this woman who was the Disney-ite `But didn`t you acknowledge that all my characters are gay?` Which actually made her nervous."

Depp tells Smith why his use of a mathematician in The Tourist appealed to him: "I was always fascinated by people who are considered completely normal, because I see them the weirdest of all." Of the complications of having played so many eccentric roles in his career, he says, "They`re all still there, which on some degree can`t be the healthiest thing in the world. I always see it as this breast of shorts in your body-Ed Wood is in one, the Hatter is in another, Scissorhands is in another. They`re still very near to the surface."

Elsewhere in the interview, Depp talks to Smith about their shared affection for the Monkees` 60s pop hit "Daydream Believer"; the music career he nearly had ("Going into acting was an odd deviation from a special road that I was on in my late teens, early 20s, because I had no desire, no interest, really, in it at all. I was a player and I was a guitarist, and that`s what I wanted to do"); being born in the wrong time ("I truly think that, at a certain point, if you`re born in `60-something or whatever, you got ripped off-you love what I think? I always felt like I was meant to have been natural in another era, another time"); and what he`d still wish to accomplish: "[Marlon Brando said,] Why don`t you simply need a class and go and study Shakespeare, or go and study Hamlet. Go and forge on Hamlet and work that part. Play that voice before you`re too old. So what he was stressful to order me was: play that fucking part, man. Play that part before you`re too long in the tooth. Play it. And I would wish to. I`d really, really wish to."

No comments:

Post a Comment