Thursday, January 13, 2011

INTERVIEW WITH CRISPIN GLOVER: ACTOR, DIRECTOR. TOUR DATES: WHAT .

INTERVIEW WITH CRISPIN GLOVER: ACTOR, DIRECTOR. TOUR DATES: WHAT IS IT, IT IS FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE, BIG SLIDE SHOW, knave of hearts in alice in wonderland, friday the 13th part 4, creepy actor, goth eccentric character, thin man charlie's angels, back to the future, crispin hellion glover, willard, tickets for screenings vancouver canada

If you`ve been stalking my Twitter, you`ll recognize that Crispin Hellion Glover has been emailing me. You may love him better as an eccentric character actor, with gloriously dark turns in Willard, Alice in Wonderland (Knave of Hearts), and Cover to the Future.

But Crispin Glover is a multi-platformed ringmaster - writer, film-maker, musician - who places his camera lens in the squirmiest of territories.

The first movie in his trilogy, "What Is It?" is described as "The adventures of a new man whose principle interests are snails, salt, a pipe, and how to get home." In his new "It Is Fine! EVERYTHING IS FINE," the chief actor and screenwriter is Steven C. Stewart, a man with a serious type of cerebral palsy. Crispin is currently bringing his vaudeville act to Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, England - where he oversees screenings, readings, a big slide show and book signings that lead until dawn.

Longtime friend and Andy Warhol/Home Alone reincarnate Rob Rafuse stirred up the following questions for Crispin. Read on for his fascinating answers about building a Czech soundstage, working with David Lynch, and dance like a madman in Friday the 13th.

INTERVIEW WITH CRISPIN GLOVER: ACTOR, DIRECTOR. TOUR DATES: WHAT IS IT, IT IS FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE, BIG SLIDE SHOW, knave of hearts in alice in wonderland, friday the 13th part 4, creepy actor, goth eccentric character, thin man charlie's angels, back to the future, crispin hellion glover, willard, tickets for screenings vancouver canada

† When you are finished with the "What Is It" trilogy, do you plan on releasing it to DVD? If so, are you release to go with a distributor or are you release to do it independently, like with touring the films?

There have been smaller distribution companies interested in distributing the films. I get more wherewithal than they would, I am theatrically distributing these films that in this sentence is a more unusual fashion, but 100 years ago it would be the average and it would be called "Vaudeville". For several reasons it makes the near feel to administer these films in this fashion. I am protective of the subject of the picture for financial reasons and because there is sensitive material in both the films and I have ascertained that the assembly that I make afterwards the picture is shown is extremely important, and the audience interaction with this Q and A session is actually quite imperative for these films.

INTERVIEW WITH CRISPIN GLOVER: ACTOR, DIRECTOR. TOUR DATES: WHAT IS IT, IT IS FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE, BIG SLIDE SHOW, knave of hearts in alice in wonderland, friday the 13th part 4, creepy actor, goth eccentric character, thin man charlie's angels, back to the future, crispin hellion glover, willard, tickets for screenings vancouver canada

† Can you leave us an approximation of what the last movie in the trilogy is leaving to be around? What are your plans afterwards - will you have more films?

I should not go in to detail for "IT IS MINE." yet and I leave not take that next. There are other projects outside of the trilogy that I will take next. I own place in the Czech Republic and am making a small soundstage out there to keep making my own films. It is another culture and another language and I want to make up to complex productions like "What is it?" and the existing sequel "It is fine! EVERYTHING IS FINE." IT IS MINE. Is an even more complex undertaking than those two films were so it will be a spell yet for that production.

I have been running on three screenplays to play inside the contraints of shooting on sets at my property.One of them is a screenplay for myself and my mother to act in together. He is also an actor and that is the following film I would wish to take as a director/producer. This will be the first use I write for myself to act in that will be written as an acting role as opposed to a role that was written for the case I turn to only do the structure. But yet still on some point I am writing the screenplay to be something that I can give to make. There are two other projects I could work before that depending on set costs. I am currently running on two screenplays that may be more affordable to get first.

INTERVIEW WITH CRISPIN GLOVER: ACTOR, DIRECTOR. TOUR DATES: WHAT IS IT, IT IS FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE, BIG SLIDE SHOW, knave of hearts in alice in wonderland, friday the 13th part 4, creepy actor, goth eccentric character, thin man charlie's angels, back to the future, crispin hellion glover, willard, tickets for screenings vancouver canada

† You do a lot of independent personal films but as of late you`ve been diving into horror with films like Willard, Simon Says and Genius of Gore. What attracts you to this genre/aesthetic?

I am very careful to get it quite clearly that What is it? is not a movie about Down`s Syndrome but my psychological response to the corporate restraints that have happened in the final 20 to 30 years in movie making. Specifically anything that can possibly have an audience uncomfortable is necessarily excised or the picture will not be corporately funded or distributed. This is damaging to the culture because it is the real instant when an audience member sits back in their chair looks up at the blind and thinks to their ego "Is this right what I am watching? Is this wrong what I am watching? Should I be here? Should the filmmaker have made this? What is it?" -and that is the deed of the film. What is it that is prohibited in the culture? What does it signify that taboo has been ubiquitously excised in this culture`s media? What does it intend to the culture when it does not properly process taboo in it`s media? It is a bad thing because when questions are not being asked because these kinds of questions are when people are having a truly educational experience. For the finish to not be capable to ask questions leads towards a non educational experience and that is what is happening in this culture. This stupefies this civilization and that is of class a bad thing. So What is it? Is a direct response to the contents this culture`s media. I would like people to believe for themselves.

INTERVIEW WITH CRISPIN GLOVER: ACTOR, DIRECTOR. TOUR DATES: WHAT IS IT, IT IS FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE, BIG SLIDE SHOW, knave of hearts in alice in wonderland, friday the 13th part 4, creepy actor, goth eccentric character, thin man charlie's angels, back to the future, crispin hellion glover, willard, tickets for screenings vancouver canada

† In 1993 you released your CD "The Big Problem." Do you get any future goals of doing another album? If so, what will it sound like?

There exists another group of recordings that have been almost completed for a long time but my head and vitality has been involved with complementary and then touring with the film. There is another album`s worth of material recorded that necessarily a small work through to it to turn it, but it is not where my idea has been. At some level I will complete those recordings and release them, but again my films are my priority.

† When doing the film Rubin and Ed, did you come up with the title of Rubin Farr or was that in the book? Is there any opportunity that this part will constitute another appearance on film?

I have never confirmed nor denied in media whether I appeared on the David Letterman show and your head may contribute towards a decision to that query so I will people see it out on their own by viewing these clips in chronological order. The dates are accurate below but may not be accurate on YouTube, please use the below dates for accurate reference.

David Letterman 1986, Clowny Clown Clown video 1989, Rubin and Ed 1991, Little Loca 2005.

† A lot of mass must be funny about what sort of movies you like. What are 5 of your favorite/must-see films and why?

My favourite film lists go in to the hundreds and there are a lot of my very favorite films that are only one offs where the manager only made one picture that I like. Many of the below directors have made multiple films that I admire.

Werner Herzog, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Luis Buuel, Stanley Kubrick, Todd Browning, FW Murnau, Fritz Lang, Akira Kurusawa, Frank Wysbar, Milos Foreman, Roman Polanski, Frederico Fellini, David Lynch, John Waters, Russ Meyer, Karel Zeman, Abbas Kiarostami, Wong Kar Wei, Gaspar Noe, Orson Wells, John Cassavetis, Dennis Hopper, Timothy Carey.

oliver stone the doors, andy warhol, INTERVIEW WITH CRISPIN GLOVER: ACTOR, DIRECTOR. TOUR DATES: WHAT IS IT, IT IS FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE, BIG SLIDE SHOW, knave of hearts in alice in wonderland, friday the 13th part 4, creepy actor, goth eccentric character, thin man charlie's angels, back to the future, crispin hellion glover, willard, tickets for screenings vancouver canada

† In the movie The Doors you played Andy Warhol. Did you always meet Warhol and how was it playing such an iconic person?

I guess that picture in 1990. To my knowledge I was the low individual to portray Andy Warhol in a feature film. I had met Andy Warhol and talked with him a bit at Madonna and Sean Penn`s wedding in 1985 five years old to portraying him. After I spoke with him I stood back and watched him and how he moved. I thought he would be an interesting person to bring some time. The 1st time I hard about a picture that had him as a case was for the Doors film and I chased the character and auditioned for Oliver Stone. I did cause certain concerns about how to present the character but many of the concerns were about having the character say less and Oliver Stone was really well to go with as a director.

† You worked with David Lynch in "Wild at Heart" - the two of you together seems like a dream mash-up, and Eraserhead obviously had some work on you. What was it like working with Lynch? Got any favorite memories or stories from the experience?

When I was 16 in 1980 and I had learned how to take I would go see Erasherhead playing midnights at the Nuart over and over. I was in acting class at the clock and there is no question that the film had work on my acting. It was keen to bring with him on Wild At Heart and see the genuine character psychology motivating the form of conduct I had admired in his film Eraserhead. David Lynch specifically had a business work on What is it? because he had agreed to executive produce a different film for me to direct. This picture will finally be part three of the trilogy this picture will be titled IT IS MINE.

† I must ask_ Friday the 13th, part 4. Your dance. Where did you get up with that?

I asked for them to run "Back in Black" by AC/DC when I was alleged to dancing in that scene. That was the dance I came up with for it. They did not use "Back in Black" in the soundtrack. Some people have put a time of it up on YouTube with the AC/DC track, but it is not synched correctly. It was surely an unusually way to dancing to that part of medicine but the motions of the dance fit properly to that song if it correctly synched.

† How do Canadians and people from other countries respond to your films, as opposed to an American audience?

Spontaneous discussions and even arguments have erupted amongst audience members with each other during the Q and A sitting for What is it? I believe this to be prescribed as it means people are having strong thoughtful reactions to the film. I have found that the masses that take the most aggressive questioning about the movie are in the US. So far I have shown the films in the US Canada, Europe, Japan and Australia. It makes sense to me that the most aggressive questions are in the US because the movie it very much reacting specifically to US media. It is fine! EVERYTHING IS FINE. has a more universal reaction wherever I testify it. That is because the film operates with an emotional catharsis for the Steven C. Character and that emotional catharsis is not divisive by media influence whereas What is it? is a my psychological reaction specifically to US corporate control in the final 30 years.

† You write, act, direct, make albums_ is there anything you`d care to do that you haven`t done?

I am really much concentrating on continuing to cause my own films.

Don`t miss Crispin Hellion Glover`s current tour! Each event consists of "different combinations of the following": Big Slide Show (one hour dramatic story of 8 different profusely illustrated books he has made over the years), film screening, Q & A session, book signing. The dates, venues and showtimes are listed here.

Are you an adorer of Crispin Glover? What do you consider of his corporate criticisms? His alternative access to creating and distributing art?

Japanese Word of the Day: Matomeru = Gather, bring together, organize Song of the Day: Crispin Glover`s `Ben` video from Willard.

Twitter icon square logo social network and bookmarkYouTube video icon square logo, share videos on social network siteRSS subscribe in a reader, Feedburner blog aggregation logo and iconFacebook social networking icon square logo

No comments:

Post a Comment