Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dinner at Christina's: Birthday Eats

Johnny took me out to dinner at Big Tuna, a local Japanese restaurant. I'd eaten there once before, but this second time really won my heart!First matter to hit the board was the edamame.We started with the usual ginger salad and miso soup. I want to get a recipe for the ginger dressing they always function at Japanese restaurants. It is so frickin' good.

Johnny and I were seated there trying to conceive of language to name it, but finally gave up and just stuffed our faces.Johnny's appetizer was their vegetable gyoza. I had one and it was good, but I didn't need to neutralize any of my precious stomach space on them!My appetizer was a Godzilla roll. I was leaving to shoot a photo of the description, but I forgot and by the sentence I remembered she'd already interpreted the menu! From what I can remember it was spicy tuna, eel, avacado, and cream cheese. Then it was tempura fried and had an eel sauce and this spicy pepper jelly on it. It was one of those "I'm feeling adventurous" kind of orders, so I wasn't sure how much I'd like it - but I loved it! The grain was spot-on and all of the flavors complimented each other so well. Plus the cream cheese created this really nice gooey creamy aspect to it.Johnny's entree was teriyaki steak. He offered me a bite, but I never took him up on his offer because I was too busy eating everything else!My entrance was the seafood tempura platter. There were two skewers of scallops, two shrimp, two hunks of white fish, and two crab legs, not to name a shipload of tempura veggies.Both entrees also came with rice and we were too good for dessert. But they did lend us some fresh honeydew melon cubes to end the meal while our halt was being processed.When we got home and digested a bit we were set for my birthday request: cheesecake! I'm not a vast fan of cake and I hate frosting. So Johnny made me cheesecake from my dad's recipe he ever made for me when I was growing up. Sorry for the photos in this post! I was in "birthday girl mode" instead of "food blogger mode." So they're darker and more hurried than usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment